Sunday, April 10, 2016

Roguelike Devblog - #2

Instead of starting this post with a paragraph explaining everything I've done, here's a quick gif.


So there's quite a bit to go over. Let me start with the "Generating" screen. Yesterday when you'd start up the game, it'd bring you to a black screen with the map laid out in white. (See yesterday's post for an example of that) I said "begone with that!" and replaced it. Map generation in the game is lightning quick, which is pretty cool. (It actually only takes ~10 frames to generate the map) I'm guessing it will take longer to generate maps the further you get into the game, since after each level the map size gets slightly increased. Anyways, this isn't all cherries and roses. There's one, slight, downside to my amazing generation screen. To generate a new map... I have to restart the game! *gasp*

... I'll probably do a debug thing later to fix that.

Anyways, next thing you probably noticed, depth! Maps now have a bit of depth to them, which is pretty cool. I did this because it looks nice, and that's about it. You can walk behind walls and stuff, which is pretty standard now in these top-down games. There's not a whole lot to say about it, so here's another gif.


Last thing, I added a "light" around your player. In the last post I mentioned that I wanted to try doing a "Fog of War" effect, and that didn't quite work out. Let's just say the game ran like I was emulating a PS4 on a potato. So instead I did this, and I like how it looks. Better yet, it still gives that feeling of mystery and uncertainty I mentioned before. So that's good.



But that's all for today's post. I'll see you guys tomorrow! (hopefully)

[My Twitter] [Lui's Twitter]

No comments: